The Whitby High School - Ellesmere Port Local History Pages

Local Villages/Suburbs


Featured Villages


Capenhurst

Capenhurst is 6 miles north of Chester and 2 miles west of Ellesmere Port. It is a small rural village surrounded by dairy farms, although since the construction of te nearby BNFL factory parts of the village have taken on a different character. Click here for an interesting study of different aspects of the village, plus some useful maps.

Great Sutton

Great Sutton is a village that has been slowly absorbed into into Ellesmere Port since the building of the Manchester Ship Canal. It is at least 1000 years old, as it was mentioned in the Domesday Book as part of the parish of Eastham, which it remained in until the early 20th century. Click here to read about its development and population study.

Hooton

The Stanleys - a branch of the Earl of Derby in Liverpool held this estate for centuries until the family finally sold it during the mid nineteenth century as it was proving too costly to maintain. Hooton Park was later taken over by the government during the First World War and used as a military hospital. An aifield was built on the in 1917 and pilots from Canada and the United States were trained there. Read this article for a short history of the Hall.

Rivacre

In Preparation

Stoak & Stanney

Stoak (Stoke) and Little Stanney are situated between Chester and Ellesmere Port and adjoin either side of the busy motorway interchange of the M53 and M56. It is 4 miles (6 kilometres) north of Chester. The Shropshire Union Canal passes right by the village of Stoak, while today the village of Little Stanney is gradually being swallowed up by the Cheshire Oaks Trading Estate and associated developments. Click here for an interesting insight into the hamlets with fascinating maps included.

Little Sutton

Little Sutton was a small township close to the parish of Hooton. It lies 7 miles north of Chester and 8 miles south of Birkenhead. Lagely agricultural, the area gradually urbanised during the later half of the 20th century.


Whitby

Whitby is actually much older than Ellesmere Port. Around 1000 years older in fact. The name means the White Farm or settlement and was Norse Viking in origin. The original name for Ellesmere Port in the late 1790s was Whitby Locks as it was the nearest village of significance. Click here for an introduction to aspects of the later history of the village.






































www.roydenhistory.co.uk

Visit the Royden History Index Page listing web sites designed and maintained by Mike Royden
No pages may be reproduced without permission
copyright Mike Royden
All rights reserved